Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Recipes for Health: Moroccan Cooked Carrot Salad

Last week I had a few carrots leftover from when I made the white bean burgers, so obviously I referred to Martha Rose Shulman for an inspired Recipe for Health. I came across this interesting sounding recipe for Moroccan cooked carrot salad and decided that as odd as it sounded (cumin and carrots?!), it seemed like a great way to use up the carrots. I don't really like carrots plain -- even dipped in peanut butter I don't think that they're that great.

Let me tell you, this recipe was absolutely delicious! I even had my roommate B try a slice and she was very impressed. I served it up with a bit of chicken and a mish-mash I made of red quinoa, corn and edamame (another stellar "recipe").

Since I only had a few carrots I didn't follow this recipe to a T, but guesstimated a bit and just went with how much seemed like a good amount. I hope you enjoy!

Moroccan Cooked Carrot Salad

Ingredients: 
1 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (to taste)
2 large garlic cloves, minced or pureed in a mortar and pestle with 1/4 teaspoon salt
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground - I just used cumin powder
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley - I didn't have any so I didn't use this

For garnish:
Imported black olives - I didn't use these
2 hard boiled eggs, cut in wedges (optional)

Directions:
  1. Place the carrots in a steamer above 1 inch of boiling water, cover and steam 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Remove from the heat, rinse with cold water, and drain on paper towels.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet and add the garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds, until the garlic smells fragrant, and stir in the carrots, pepper, and salt to taste. Stir together for a few minutes, until the carrots are nicely seasoned. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, remaining olive oil, and the parsley. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice as desired. Transfer to a platter, and decorate with olives and hard-boiled eggs if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Yield: Serves 4

Advance preparation: You can make this several hours before serving. The dish, without the lemon juice and parsley, will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator. Reheat gently on top of the stove and add the lemon juice and parsley.

Approximate Nutritional Information (per Serving): Calories: 187; Total Fat: 13.7g; Saturated Fat: 2.3g; Cholesterol: 93mg; Sodium: 189mg; Total Carbohydrates: 13.7g; Dietary Fiber: 3.8g; Sugars: 5.9g; Protein: 4.3g; Vitamin A 388 percent recommended daily allowance (RDA) based on a 2,000 calorie diet; Vitamin C 29 percent RDA; Calcium 7 percent RDA; Iron 10 percent RDA (Approximate nutritional information provided by calorie-count.com)

1 comment:

  1. Saw your profile on Christina's page. Glad I read your blog. Look forward to following you here. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete