Thursday, April 1, 2010

California and an injury

I had a really fantastic time in L.A.! I got in Thursday and as soon as my friends and I had lunch together, Caity went to prep for her play, T went back to work, and C and I went to Santa Monica. BEACH!
I was a little excited. Obviously, when you come from New York where it's been cold, rainy, and windy, the only appropriate response is to do a cartwheel.

My IT band was acting up, so although C and I wanted to go for a run, I decided I should refrain so that it wouldn't get worse. Instead we went to the beach and walked around. Almost the same as a run, right?

The next day my IT band was feeling a little better so I (stupidly?) decided to go for a 4-mile run, which turned into a 5-mile run, around Brentwood Country Club near T and Caity's apartment.
Hilly as it was, I felt like my splits were actually pretty awesome!
(Ignore laps 6 and 7...accidentally hit "start" when I shouldn't have)

It had some hills (not good for the IT band) but overall it was a really great run and I felt so good afterward. I felt like I could have kept going, and my IT band wasn't hurting at all! I have to say though, it is SO dry out in L.A...I was dying for water during the run.

Saturday was a beach day, so Sunday T and I went to Runyon Canyon in Hollywood for a 3-mile hike.
 The hike was beautiful -- we could see downtown L.A.,
the Hollywood sign,
and zillions of adorable dogs. I was so excited I had to JUMP!
Yeah I suck at jumping. Don't judge me.

Afterward we had pancakes that were twice the size of my head. Literally.
And they were amazing. If you ever find yourself on Sunset Blvd. in L.A., GO TO THE GRIDDLE CAFE!

Ahem.

Monday before I left Caity and I went on a little jog (again, I so should not have gone...stupid IT band!) around her neighborhood. I basically wandered around but stayed close so I wouldn't get lost/miss my Supershuttle/have to stay in L.A...actually, that would have been PERFECT! Next time...
As you can see, the trip was amazing and it was so good/necessary to get out of New York and soak up some sunshine. I definitely plan on going back next year, and T is coming out here Memorial Day weekend. I'm going to have to find the restaurant that has New York's largest pancakes and take her there. If you know it, leave a comment below.

Unfortunately, I now have an injury three weeks before my half-marathon. BAH! I'm not running this week (SAD!!!) and it's making me a little crazy. That, by the way, is a feeling I NEVER imagined I'd have...sadness that I can't run?! Who have I become? A running addict, that's what!

I just have to remember that RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) will help and I will come out better and stronger after this injury. I think God is just getting illness and injury out of the way one right after the other and that'll keep me free and clear for a while. That's my hope, anyway.

I'm doing a lot of stretches, icing it at night, taking ibuprofen, and riding the stationary bike and lifting for my workouts. It's not running, but it will keep me strong and let my IT band heal.

What's your worst running injury? What did you do to help it out?

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, those pancakes look amazing!! i'm not a hard core enough runner to have gotten any proper injuries. hope it feels better soon! xx

    ReplyDelete