Friday, September 2, 2011

NYCM Training: Week eight update!

I'm WAY behind on posting... Hurricane Irene really put me off my game! But I got in all my runs and had an excellent eighth week of training:
  • Monday: 45 mins intermediate PocketYoga
  • Tuesday: 4 mile run, TBC
  • Wednesday: 7 mile speed work
  • Thursday: 4 mile run
  • Friday: 15 mile run
  • Saturday: rest
  • Sunday: 7 mile run
Total mileage: 37! Whoa!

Tuesday was a nice, easy run on the treadmill followed by Total Body Conditioning class, which was tough as always. Wednesday I hit snooze a few too many times and woke up an hour after my 5:25am alarm, but I still managed to get a great speed workout in, running around the reservoir in the park a few times and killing my time goals for the speed portions. Thursday was an easy 4-miler along the East River,  Friday was a 15 mile run before boarding a bus to DC for the weekend (it seems I have a thing for running long distances prior to boarding some type of transportation), and Sunday's 7 mile run was done on the treadmill at my parents' house as soon as the power came back on, with True Blood on in the background (perfect distraction!).

I didn't really map out the 15 mi run beforehand, but it ended up working out pretty well. I was a little off of my game though... My stomach felt off at the beginning and I was going really pretty slowly, especially for the first half. It wasn't the best run by any means, but I am SO glad that I got through it! Plus, it was a pretty morning:
New World Trade Center building 
Empire State Building off in the distance
Splits:
  • Mile 1 - 10:30
  • Mile 2 - 9:46
  • Mile 3 - 10:25
  • Mile 4 - 9:16
  • Mile 5 - 9:33
  • Mile 6 - 10:09
  • Mile 7 - 9:35
  • Mile 8 - 9:11 --> took a Gu somewhere in here
  • Mile 9 - 9:14
  • Mile 10 - 9:17
  • Mile 11 - 9:13
  • Mile 12 - 9:12
  • Mile 13 - 9:18
  • Mile 14 - 9:43 (evil 72nd St. stairs!)
  • Mile 15 - 9:17
Total time: 2:23:46, average pace of 9:35. Hello, inconsistent splits in the first half!

Map:
So yeah, definitely not the worst run in the world, but I stopped at pretty much every single water fountain and felt a litttttle dizzy at times, but I listened to my body and if I felt like I shouldn't continue, I definitely wouldn't have done so. I brought my Metrocard with me too, in case I decided to cut it off at 12 or 13 miles and finish it up later at home in DC, but luckily I didn't have to do that. I also ran into a guy who was in my Total Body Conditioning class when I lived near Union Square, and saw Theodora and Gia on their long training run, too! I'd seen on the NYCM Facebook page that they were doing their long runs on Friday, so it was fun to run into them for a hot second. On the bus, I rocked my hot pink compression socks, took a nap, ate a Clif bar and a yogurt (gotta get that protein in post-long run!), and thanked goodness that even though I was running late, I made time to shower before boarding the bus. I'm sure my seatmate was equally grateful for that.

So yeah. Week eight was a good one. Now week nine is pretty much done, which means I'm almost halfway through this marathon training thing. CRAZY. In week 10, I run 41 miles. FORTY-ONE MILES. The last time I trained for a marathon, the highest weekly mileage I had was 36, which I surpassed this week. This time around, I'll get up to 44. Kind of crazy. Kind of exciting. I kind of can't wait for the New York City Marathon! NINE WEEKS!

Other things I'm excited for: fall weather, my friend's wedding in September, another friend's wedding in October, my birthday Oct. 6, the Staten Island Half-Marathon Oct. 9, baking with pumpkin, oatmeal for breakfast, fall in general...can you tell I love fall?

Here's to a great second half of marathon training!

1 comment:

  1. great week! keep it up - you're inspiring the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete