Thursday, August 4, 2011

NYCM Training: Speedy Week 4

I'm sensing a pattern here...

As in previous weeks, training went very well in week 4. I stuck to the training (flip-flopping Thursday and Friday), ran quickly (very quickly for me, actually! Those pullback weeks do wonders!), ran outside, inside, upside down (OK, maybe not), and really enjoyed the week overall.

Here's what week 4 looked like in terms of training:

  • Monday: 35 minutes elliptical, 18 minutes StairMaster
  • Tuesday: 3 mile run, Total Body Conditioning
  • Wednesday: 6 mile tempo run
  • Thursday: rest
  • Friday: 3 mile run
  • Saturday: 6 miles at race pace
  • Sunday: 11 mile run (8:53 average pace)
Total mileage: 29

Per usual, the treadmill runs (Tuesday, Friday and Saturday) were pretty uneventful, and also per usual, Sarina kicked my butt in Total Body Conditioning on Tuesday. I have to say though, I totally love the double workouts. It's a great way to get my strength training in, but I know I should probably do it twice a week...same with yoga! I really want to incorporate more yoga into my training. Sure, I do downward dog after every run, but I don't think that's quite the same as a good hourlong session.

ANYWAY, I have to say, Wednesday's tempo run was ahhh-mazing. Three weeks earlier when I had another tempo run around the reservoir, I remember struuuuggling to hold an 8:52 pace for the middle three miles of a five mile run, and this six-mile tempo run was just glorious. I thought about doing it on the treadmill, but apparently the crazy side of my brain was working when I woke up, and I couldn't get my mind off of running Central Park's hills. I ran the half-mile to the park from my apartment, did the lower five-mile loop, and ran back for six miles in just under 52 minutes! The middle four mile averages were 8:39, 8:35, 8:17 and 8:19...sooo unlike me, but I will totally take it! I was feelin' good, so sadly there are no photos except for this exquisite one that I took as I waited to cross 5th Ave.:
It's beautiful, I know
Sunday's 11-miler was really good, too, despite the fact that I was up till 2am on my friend's rooftop. Luckily I was not hungover for this run. I did the whole thing in the park because it was shaded and not incredibly hot. I considered the West Side Highway, but I just did not feel like having the sun beat down on me for almost two hours. Plus there were some badass triathletes out in Central Park, kicking ass and taking names, and watching them swim/bike/run totally motivated me to keep at it. I saw one woman running in a one-piece swimsuit (which looked incredibly uncomfortable), and while this dude was not participating in the triathlon, I did see a truly amazing and talented runner JUGGLING THREE BALLS WHILE RUNNING. I mean...COME ON. Who does that?! Almost as random as the time a bird flew into my head...except he has a talent. I just have a head that looks like a lovely nest to a bird.

So here's Sunday's map:
I started out going clockwise, and for whatever reason started to feel "uneven" at some point, so I turned around before I'd completed a full loop to even out. I think it helped.

And the splits:
  • Mile 1 - 9:18
  • Mile 2 - 8:50
  • Mile 3 - 9:04
  • Mile 4 - 8:51
  • Mile 5 - 8:56
  • Mile 6 - 9:05
  • Mile 7 - 8:54
  • Mile 8 - 9:05
  • Mile 9 - 8:45
  • Mile 10 - 8:54
  • Mile 11 - 7:54
Total time: 1:37:44, for an average pace of 8:53.

It was speedy, and I definitely took a Gu at mile 7.5 when I started to feel like I was falling off a bit. It definitely helped and I had a great run overall!

One thing I'm struggling with is the long run pace...I mean, I know that you're supposed to run much slower (a minute slower than your goal pace or something), that it helps to build up endurance and makes you get used to being on your feet for long periods of time. Sometimes I do try to slow down, but my legs just say "nope, sorry," so I go with it. I feel good and I've been enjoying it, but I'm wondering if I'm somehow hurting myself by not running more slowly? Does that even make sense? I've run a marathon so I know how it feels to be on my feet and move my legs and arms for more than four hours, so I don't really need to practice that. If anything I might want to practice running longer distances at a faster pace since I'm trying to get faster, right? I don't know... If anyone has any input on this, please let me know!

After a successful long-run sweat session (sans photos once again, I know you're disappointed!) I picked up a Zico coconut water, foam rolled my leggies, and treated myself to a day at the beach with my fellow runner friend Shawna (actually the first person who I went on a run with many years ago in college when I first considered getting in shape...I eventually abandoned that effort), who also accompanied me for a few miles on my marathon

We hit up Coney Island:
It was a lonnng trip from Harlem to
Coney Island, but SO worth it!
where I immediately craved (and got) a giant veggie sub from Subway, sat near some amazingly leathered up juiceheads, 
This photo does not capture the true leathery or
muscular nature of these people
took a dip (yes, in the water at Coney Island...it's perfectly safe!), napped, 
Lovely runner's feet!
and enjoyed some delicious Italian ice from Uncle Louie G's. It was so so so so SO so good. I love that place.

My week 5 update will be up before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment