Sunday, July 17, 2011

NYCM Training: Week 2 Recap

Week two of marathon training is done! Woo hoo! It went really well and I can't say I've really had a bad day yet. Those are sure to come eventually but for now it's great to feel fast and have my legs feel great. 

Here's what my week looked like:

  • Monday: 1 hour Core Fusion Bootcamp
  • Tuesday: 3 mile run (out in the hot, humid weather)
  • Wednesday: 5 mile speed run (1 mile warm up, then alternated between 6.5 mph and 7.2 mph till I hit 5 mi)
  • Thursday: 3 mile run, 1 hour Core Fusion Open
  • Friday: rest
  • Saturday: 5 mile run
  • Sunday: 9 mile run (9:08), followed by a 3-hour nap (I told you I'm fun this summer!)
Total mileage: 25


My Exhale Spa pass is up but I took advantage of all the classes and really loved Core Fusion Cardio...I'm thinking I'll need to buy that DVD. 

Today I set out on a 9-mile run at 8am. I had set my alarm for 6:30am last night, but since I didn't get to bed till around midnight after a fantastic evening on my friend's rooftop, I decided I'd sleep in an extra hour. It was definitely an excellent call.

I set out unsure of where I'd go...the reservoir? Bridle path? Big loop and a half of Central Park? I brought my Metrocard and ultimately decided to run across the park and over to the West Side Highway, running as far as I needed to before taking the subway home. Once I went down the treacherous steps, I headed north for about a mile before turning around and heading south and into the wind. Running north I was DYING, with the wind behind me it was just super hot. Once I turned around it was windy, but at least I had a breeze! I went music-free, though I did bring my iPhone and headphones with me in case I changed my mind. My SpiBelt has never been a problem, but today was driving me absolutely nuts, bouncing all over the place...I think it's time for a smaller iPod. But then how would I take pictures?!

This picture doesn't really show it, and I took it after I finished my run, but the West Side Highway was full of people out running. Apparently Heidi Klum has been hitting up the West Side Highway quite a bit recently too, so you know it's the cool thing to do.
West Side Highway. I promise there were lots of people out!
Here's the map: 

And my splits:
  • Mile 1 - 10:11 (Garmin was a little wonky, I don't think I was that slow!)
  • Mile 2 - 9:13
  • Mile 3 - 8:58
  • Mile 4 - 9:10
  • Mile 5 - 9:05
  • Mile 6 - 8:59
  • Mile 7 - 9:00
  • Mile 8 - 8:55
  • Mile 9 - 8:40
Total time was 1:22:14, average pace was 9:08, which I was totally happy with. 
Squinty and sweaty
Afterward, I walked up to W. 11th St. and decided I needed something to drink. Clearly, I lost a lot of water with all that cute sweat, so rehydrating was a priority. I stopped at a Duane Reade, and while I usually go for a Vitamin Water Zero, today I decided to try this out:
Coconut water!
I was a little wary of the taste at first, but it grew on me very quickly. The benefits are pretty outstanding too!
  • All natural
  • More electrolytes than leading sports drinks
  • More potassium than two bananas -- potassium keeps your body properly hydrated and prevents cramping (I actually had a blood test a year or so ago that said my potassium levels were low, so this is great to know!)
I thought the electrolytes note was especially interesting -- I'd heard that coconut water was great for hydration, but I didn't know HOW good it was! 

Great second week...ready for week three, which will be a lower mileage week. It's the perfect week for it because this week I have the wonderful Jennifer visiting me from Zurich and I'd like to spend as much time with her as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment