Saturday, October 16, 2010

Marathon: Take Two

I was talking to my mom about how I wanted to run a different marathon before I ran the NYC Marathon next year. I was thinking about the New Jersey Marathon, and she suggested I look for some in the DC area since that's near where she and my dad live. The National Marathon is in March, which is too soon after I get back from the February family vacation in Asia, and the Marine Corps Marathon is in October, too close to the NYC Marathon. I was looking for an April-May-June marathon, and my mom stumbled across this Potomac River Run Marathon May 1, the same day as the New Jersey Marathon!

It's also much more convenient, MUCH smaller (capped at 300 people!) and very cheap ($40!). I still have to take the bus to DC, but at least I can stay at my house and don't have to get a hotel, which I'd probably have to do with the New Jersey Marathon. I think it'll be interesting to run such a small marathon, especially since I'll be running one with over 40,000 people six months later, but I've heard it said from a few different people that the NYC Marathon is not the best first marathon -- a lot of people, a lot of spectators, a lot of bridges, a tough course... This one is an out-and-back course, few (if any) spectators, and even bills itself as "the easiest marathon in America". Sounds like it's worth a shot to me!

I ran two miles yesterday, and felt a little pain afterward. It wasn't bad, but I took today off (unless you count walking around Ikea for two hours as a workout) just to keep it rested. I'm planning an elliptical and weight session tomorrow -- woo! Night!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a great idea. you'll have at least a couple fans there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you're getting back in the swing of things! btw, walking around ikea TOTALLY counts as exercise :D

    did you go to the ikea in brooklyn? i've always wanted to go there but wasn't really sure how to get out there! next time - double date!

    ReplyDelete